Welcome to our online Inductive Bible Study on the book of Colossians, “That I May Know Him” by Kay Arthur and David Lawson. In our previous study of Philippians we discovered that knowing Him is “knowing joy.” We are continuing our joy journey in Colossians and will discover that knowing Him is knowing “His power.”
What an exciting journey we are about to embark on for the next nine weeks. This first week is an “Introduction” week and a time of getting to know one another and to answer any questions you may have about how this online Bible study thing works. We want your online Bible study experience to be positive and enjoyable.
Many of you are just beginning your first Inductive Bible study. Please take time before beginning this study to read “How to Get Started…” in your study book on pages 5 through 8. It contains some helpful information on how to use this Bible Study Guide to help you understand the Inductive Bible study process that we will be using each week. Order your Bible Study guide by clicking here —> Colossians.
Each day’s study time will take approximately 15 to 30 minutes, sometimes less or sometimes more, depending on the day’s study. I urge you to set aside a quiet time of study with God free of distractions. I have found that if I make my appointment with God at the same time each day, I am better able to keep that time on a consistent basis. It also helps to have all your study materials in your special quiet time place, which will help you stay motivated: Your Bible, Bible study book, a notebook or journal, colored pens and pencils, highlighters, etc.
I also encourage you to participate in a small group to discuss the lessons you are learning each week. Sharing is voluntary, and we do not expect you to share anything that will cause harm to yourself or another person. We meet in a private Facebook group, or if you prefer, you may answer the discussion questions here on this website by posting a comment below. This first week our small groups will meet for a time of introduction and fellowship where you’ll meet your leaders and the other ladies in your group. Our entire ministry team will be praying for you.
We will begin discussing WEEK ONE in your Bible study workbook the week of October 16th.
BIBLE STUDY TIP: Before you begin the lessons each week, read through the entire Book of Colossians from start to finish. You may also want to read Colossians in several different versions to grasp the depth of the message. Record your first impressions and thoughts in your notebook or journal. What type of literature is Colossians?
Assignment For the Week
- Write a personal letter to God in your journal or notebook. Date your letter and tell God where you are in your season of life right now, and where you hope He leads you during this study. We will not ask you to share your letter. This is personal between you and God.
- Pray before you begin your study. Ask your resident teacher, the Holy Spirit, to open your heart to wisdom and understanding to learn His truths.
- Select a small group day and time that fits your schedule. The small group schedule is pinned to the top of the private click here –>Inductive Studies Chat Room.
- Arrive to the private Facebook group for the one-hour meeting that you chose to attend. A small group photo will be posted by the leader a day prior to your meeting time.
- Begin your study of Week One on Page 49 in your study guide and complete the daily lessons in your notebook or journal.
Introduction Week Discussion Questions – Answer in your small group or post a comment below
- What motivated you or drew you to this online Inductive Bible study, and what do you hope to learn from your study time in Colossians?
- What’s the first thing that comes to mind when you hear the word “power”?
- Who is your favorite childhood superhero and why?
- What is the first thing you do when you are in the middle of a crisis?
- This study is nine weeks long. What can you do to stay motivated so that you will finish strong?